a careful effort reading through hundreds of the comics stories created
on 24 Hour Comics Day, editor Nat Gertler has selected 24 tales to go
into the book 24 Hour Comics Day Highlights 2004.
These stories were selected not just for their quality but also for the
breadth of styles and participants involved in the event.
The better known creator whose works are included are:
- Christian Gossett of Red Star fame does 24 pages on the creative
- Leave It To Chance's Paul Smith spent the day creating a
one-man anthology of stories, one of which will be in the book.
- Joel Priddy of the award-winning Pulpatoon Pilgrimage shows
us an encounter between a space alien and a king
- Eric Wolfe Hanson from G.I. Joe and Micronauts tells
an action packed tale of "Late Fees"
- Dead @ 17's Josh Howard puts his talent into an adventure
with gorgeous gals and space aliens
- Ken Lashley unleashes a new superhero team, the R-Force
Also included in the book are:
- Skeezix, and his humorous short tale "Bird Calling"
- Jennifer O. brings her square cat from Squarecatcomics.com to the
- Marketing exec Mandy Marxen muses about high school reunions
- Ben Towle deals with the childhood reality of a girl (uggh!) moving
into the neighborhood
- Canadian Dani Atkinson drew her tale on a series of 24 trading cards
- Patrick Joseph looks at cause and effect in life
- Chris Watkins tells tales based on his days as a teacher in Japan
- Comic book store owner Jefferson Powers gives us a photocomic about
what 24 Hour Comics Day was like in his store
- 12 year old Clara Harbour shows her own characters fighting for a
chance to appear in her comic
- Artist Alida Saxon makes her first comic book ever, a charming bit
of animal myth
- Danielle Corsetto deals with the perils of being a heartbreaker
- David Steinlicht on "Cleaning My Work Area!"
- Amanda Levinson and Adam Rosenblatt turn their prospective wedding
vows to one another into a comic
- Michael Connor's tale of rather abstract creatures
- Ryan Browne shows us the difficult life of a superpowered demon in
- Community college teacher Ryan Claytor unleashes "Rock &
- Stephen Sloane's Young Hip Priest gets his 24 pages
- Geno Heleen puts forth the wordless tale "Hats Off 2 Ya!"
24 Hour Comics Day Highlights 2004 (ISBN 0-9753958-0-7) is a 496 5.5"x7.75"
paperback, a nice thick paperback that ships in July from About Comics.
It can be found on page 206 of the current Diamond Previews, order code
MAY04 2158. It is also offered through FM International and Cold Cut.